OMFG I AM ABOUT TO PISS MYSELF I WAS JUST WALKING MY DOG AND ONE MY NEIGHBORS PUT UP THIS LIGHT UP CHRISTMAS DINOSAUR AND LOOK AT IT ITS SO MOTHAFUCKIN HAPPY
TO HAVE A MOTHAFUCKIN PRESENT
IN ITS MOTHAFUCKIN DINOSAUR HANDS
OH MY GOD IM GONNA POP A BLOOD VESSEL IM LAUGHING SO HARD
ITS BEEN A YEAR AND THIS STILL MAKES ME LAUGH THEY PUT IT UP AGAIN A FEW DAYS AGO AND I ALMOST SWERVED MY CAR INTO A MAIL BOX BC I WAS DYING
- white nonsense
- trans* people
- respectability politics
- ashy dick men
- shitty feminism
- body politics
- fat acceptance
- pictures of skinny white girls
- poc centric spaces
- pithy slogans
- “inspirational" photos
- reaction gifs
- dumb fucks who don’t “believe” in social justice
- ignorant assholes
- shitty body shaming commentary
to name a few. i really need for people to have SOME sense of perspective before spewing bullshit.
Best list ever.
What is this fat acceptance stuff on Tumblr? I don’t hate or have a problem with people who are overweight. I just find it funny that Tumblr has a community for that.
I can’t help but wonder if people who talk about things “on Tumblr” realize that the people talking about these things on tumblr also exist in real life
Fat people practice fat acceptance off the internet as well
this isn’t just a “oh u silly tumblr!!!” thing.
Here’s a list of why people feel fat acceptance is a necessary thing:
- Multi-billion dollar diet/weight loss industry that works primarily by shaming fat bodies.
- “Research documents that fatter people face discrimination in employment (including lower wages), barriers in education, biased attitudes and lower quality of care from health professionals, stereotypes in the media, stigma in interpersonal relationships, and, overall, are judged negatively and treated with less respect. “
"Examples include being denied a job promotion or fired from a job because of one’s weight; being denied certain medical procedures or provided inferior medical care because of one’s weight; or being denied a scholarship, a bank loan or prevented from renting or buying a home because of one’s weight.”
- “Even physicians specializing in the treatment of obesity harbor significant weight biases, according to more recent studies. The problem has been well documented among other types of health professionals, nurses in particular. At least 11 studies focusing on nurses’ attitudes toward overweight and obese patients have been published. They consistently show that many nurses harbor negative biases toward these patients and, in some cases, would prefer not to care for them or even touch them.”
fat acceptance has been a thing for more than twenty years.
read something op. might i suggest analog sources of information. books existed before tumblr too.
shocking that concepts evolved without tumblr innit?
More than forty years! The Fat Liberation Manifesto was written in 1973.
Can I just add the fact that fat studies scholars exist as well? The concepts used on blogs like This is Thin Privilege are not just being spoken about in a vacuum. It’s still growing and very few people research fat experience / fat stigma but I’m constantly amused by people who think that this is the one small place in the world where people talk about it.
Tumblr may act like a community space for fat people to discuss their experiences in a way they may not be able to offline but lets not forget that fat people exist offline as well. We deal with bullshit in our daily lives, so the idea fat positive things don’t exist is just a really comforting lie to people who can’t handle fat people being happy.